Monday, February 09, 2009

Thankful #4

I am thankful for people who still make things by hand, because I appreciate the time and effort a hand made item takes. When I was a child/teenager all of my mitten, scarves, hats, etc were made by my grandmother. I took all of those lovely handmade items for granted. At that time, I didn't realize how much time and effort my grandmother put into each item for me. I would wear my mittens and scarves without treasuring the love my grandmother put into each and every stitch. Luckily, I still have a lot of the items that grandmother made for me.



Now to find handmade items, I search through etsy.com. I'd started to look for hand warmers. Etsy.com offers thousands hand warmers made by people all over the world. As you can see, I had a hard time limiting myself to just one pair of hand warmers. I've ended with 2 different pairs of hand warmers. The fair isle pair, picture above, is just plain out gorgeous with wonderful workmanship. The knitter of that beautiful pair of hand warmers included a surprise gift of a glass bead that Jeannie made herself, which is picture below. The walnut color hand warmers pictured to the left is made by a sweet person who is just starting out on etsy. These hand warmers feel like they will be sturdy because they are made from a wool and hemp blend yarn.

Here is a picture of the gorgeous glass bead made by Jeannie Galt. I'll have to make some time to drop by a fabric store to buy some ribbon, so I can wear this bead as a necklace. If anyone has any suggestions to what color ribbon I should buy, I would like to hear their suggestions.






The letterpress stationery pictured on below was made by Maria from Port2Port Press. I'd Maria make these M cards for a gift for one of my friend who still loves to actually write letters to people. Maria's letterpress store isn't on etsy.com, but etsy does have a lot of letterpress stores on their site.



I am thankful for these people who still take the time and effort to make items by hand.

No comments: